[gpfsug-discuss] gpfs native raid

Marc A Kaplan makaplan at us.ibm.com
Thu Sep 1 14:59:28 BST 2016

I've been told that it is a big leap to go from supporting GSS and ESS to
allowing and supporting native raid for customers who may throw together
"any" combination of hardware they might choose.

In particular the GNR "disk hospital" functions...
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKCN_3.5.0/com.ibm.cluster.gpfs.v3r5.gpfs200.doc/bl1adv_introdiskhospital.htm
will be tricky to support on umpteen different vendor boxes -- and keep in
mind, those will be from IBM competitors!

That said, ESS and GSS show that IBM has some good tech in this area and
IBM has shown with the Spectrum Scale product (sans GNR) it can support
just about any semi-reasonable hardware configuration and a good slew of
OS versions and architectures... Heck I have a demo/test version of GPFS
running on a 5 year old Thinkpad laptop.... And we have some GSSs in the
lab... Not to mention Power hardware and mainframe System Z (think 360,
370, 290, Z)