[gpfsug-discuss] gpfs native raid

Daniel Kidger daniel.kidger at uk.ibm.com
Thu Sep 1 11:29:48 BST 2016

Aaron,

    GNR is a key differentiator for IBM's (and Lenovo's) Storage hardware appliance.
    ESS and GSS are otherwise commodity storage arrays connected to commodity NSD servers, albeit with a high degree of tuning and rigorous testing and validation.
    This competes with equivalent DDN and Seagate appliances as well other non s/w Raid offerings from other IBM partners. GNR only works for a small number of disk arrays and then only in certain configurations. GNR then might be thought of as 'firmware' for the hardware rather than part of a software defined products at is Spectrum Scale.

    If you beleive the viewpoint that hardware Raid 'is dead' then GNR will not be the only s/w Raid that will be used to underly Spectrum Scale. As well as vendor specific offerings from DDN, Seagate, etc. ZFS is likely to be a popular choice but is today not well understood or tested. This will change as more 3rd parties publish their experiences and tuning optimisations, and also as storage solution vendors bidding Spectrum Scale find they can't compete without a software Raid component in their offering.

    Disclaimer: the above are my own views and not necessarily an IBM official viewpoint.

  Daniel

  IBM Spectrum Storage Software
  +44 (0)7818 522266
  Sent from my iPad using IBM Verse