[gpfsug-discuss] gpfs native raid

Aaron Knister aaron.knister at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 02:43:52 BST 2016

Thanks Everyone for your replies! (Quick disclaimer, these opinions are
my own, and not those of my employer or NASA).

Not knowing what's coming at the NDA session, it seems to boil down to
"it ain't gonna happen" because of:

- Perceived difficulty in supporting whatever creative hardware
solutions customers may throw at it.

I understand the support concerns, but I naively thought that assuming
the hardware meets a basic set of requirements (e.g. redundant sas
paths, x type of drives) it would be fairly supportable with GNR. The
DS3700 shelves are re-branded NetApp E-series shelves and pretty vanilla
I thought.

- IBM would like to monetize the product and compete with the likes of
DDN/Seagate

This is admittedly a little disappointing. GPFS as long as I've known it
has been largely hardware vendor agnostic. To see even a slight shift
towards hardware vendor lockin and certain features only being supported
and available on IBM hardware is concerning. It's not like the software
itself is free. Perhaps GNR could be a paid add-on license for non-IBM
hardware? Just thinking out-loud.

The big things I was looking to GNR for are:

- end-to-end checksums
- implementing a software RAID layer on (in my case enterprise class) JBODs

I can find a way to do the second thing, but the former I cannot.
Requiring IBM hardware to get end-to-end checksums is a huge red flag
for me.  That's something Lustre will do today with ZFS on any hardware
ZFS will run on (and for free, I might add). I would think GNR being
openly available to customers would be important for GPFS to compete
with Lustre. Furthermore, I had opened an RFE (#84523) a while back to
implement checksumming of data for non-GNR environments. The RFE was
declined because essentially it would be too hard and it already exists
for GNR. Well, considering I don't have a GNR environment, and hardware
vendor lock in is something many sites are not interested in, that's
somewhat of a problem.

I really hope IBM reconsiders their stance on opening up GNR. The
current direction, while somewhat understandable, leaves a really bad
taste in my mouth and is one of the (very few, in my opinion) features
Lustre has over GPFS.

-Aaron