[gpfsug-discuss] IBM Flashsystem 7300 HDD sequential write performance issue

Jan-Frode Myklebust janfrode at tanso.net
Tue Jan 23 19:30:01 GMT 2024

First thing I would check is that the GPFS block size is a multiple of a
full RAID stripe. It’s been a while since I worked with SVC/FlashSystem
performance, but this has been my main issue. So, 8+2p with the default
128KB «chunk size» would work with 1 MB or larger block size.

The other thing was that it’s important to disable prefetching (chsystem
-cacheprefetch off), as it will always be prefetching the wrong data
because of how GPFS scatters the blocks.

And.. on linux side there’s some max device transfersize setting that has
had huge impact on some systems.. But the exact setting escapes me right
now..

HTH

  -jf