[gpfsug-discuss] AFM and Un-named orphed files

IBM Spectrum Scale scale at us.ibm.com
Tue May 24 07:15:22 BST 2022

>Basic query, "What is an orphaned file?"

Orphan file have inode allocated but not initialized. Orphan entries are
created during the readdir on the AFM fileset, and they get repaired
(inode initialization) during the subsequent lookup.

>we get a list of "orphaned" "unnamed" entries pointing to the root of the
fileset 200 plus times. Does anyone know what this might mean?

Please ignore all the entries with fileset root path, these are false
postives generated by the policy. We will fix this in future releases.

Regards, The Spectrum Scale (GPFS) team

If you feel that your question can benefit other users of  Spectrum Scale
(GPFS), then please post it to the public IBM developerWroks Forum at
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/forum?id=11111111-0000-0000-0000-000000000479
.

If your query concerns a potential software error in Spectrum Scale (GPFS)
and you have an IBM software maintenance contract please contact
1-800-237-5511 in the United States or your local IBM Service Center in
other countries.

The forum is informally monitored as time permits and should not be used
for priority messages to the Spectrum Scale (GPFS) team.

From:   "Peter Childs" <p.childs at qmul.ac.uk>
To:     "gpfsug main discussion list" <gpfsug-discuss at spectrumscale.org>
Date:   05/24/2022 12:45 AM
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] [gpfsug-discuss] AFM and Un-named orphed files
Sent by:        "gpfsug-discuss" <gpfsug-discuss-bounces at gpfsug.org>

We are attempting to use AFM again, We are attempting to use it do do a
quick migration between two GPFS file systems. Hence should only be using
it for a few weeks.

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/spectrum-scale/5.1.0?topic=afm-data-migration-by-using-migration-enhancements

Within a Read-Only Fileset, we are attempting to ensure that the cache is
as complete as possible before we plan a date to switch over.

using checkUncached

mmafmctl fs1 checkUncached -j RO-1

we get a list of "orphaned" "unnamed" entries pointing to the root of the
fileset 200 plus times. Does anyone know what this might mean?

Basic query, "What is an orphaned file?"

My basic testing says they disappear once we switch to Local Update. so I
suspect they may have something to do with "open or changed files on the
source", which should go away once we have stopped work and are able to
switch over.

We're looking to get the final step in Local Update done in one go, (ie
never start work in local update mode), flush the fileset and switch afm
off hopefully getting the whole job done fairly quickly.

Peter Childs