[gpfsug-discuss] AFM and Un-named orphed files

Peter Childs p.childs at qmul.ac.uk
Mon May 23 20:13:29 BST 2022

We are attempting to use AFM again, We are attempting to use it do do a quick migration between two GPFS file systems. Hence should only be using it for a few weeks.

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/spectrum-scale/5.1.0?topic=afm-data-migration-by-using-migration-enhancements

Within a Read-Only Fileset, we are attempting to ensure that the cache is as complete as possible before we plan a date to switch over.

using checkUncached

mmafmctl fs1 checkUncached -j RO-1

we get a list of "orphaned" "unnamed" entries pointing to the root of the fileset 200 plus times. Does anyone know what this might mean?

Basic query, "What is an orphaned file?"

My basic testing says they disappear once we switch to Local Update. so I suspect they may have something to do with "open or changed files on the source", which should go away once we have stopped work and are able to switch over.

We're looking to get the final step in Local Update done in one go, (ie never start work in local update mode), flush the fileset and switch afm off hopefully getting the whole job done fairly quickly.

Peter Childs