[gpfsug-discuss] [External] Automating Snapshots : cron jobs or use the GUI ?

mark.bergman at uphs.upenn.edu mark.bergman at uphs.upenn.edu
Wed Feb 2 16:09:02 GMT 2022

Big vote for cron jobs.

Our snapshot are created by a script, installed on each GPFS node. The script handles naming, removing old snapshots, checking that sufficient disk space exists before creating a snapshot,
etc.  We do snapshots every 15 minutes, keeping them with lower frequency over longer intervals. For example:

	current hour:		keep 4 snapshots
	hours -2 .. -8		keep 3 snapshots per hour
	hours -8 .. -24		keep 2 snapshots per hour
	days -1 .. -5		keep 1 snapshot per hour
	days -5 .. -15		keep 4 snapshots per day
	days -15 .. -30		keep 1 snapshot per day

the duration & frequency & minimum disk space can be adjusted per-filesystem.

The automation is done through a cronjob that runs on each GPFS (DSS-G) server to create the snapshot only if the node is currently the cluster master, as in:

	*/15 * * * * root mmlsmgr -Y | grep -q "clusterManager.*:$(hostname --long):" && /path/to/snapshotter

This requires no locking and ensures that only a single instance of snapshots is created at each time interval.

We use the same trick to gather GPFS health stats, etc., ensuring that the data collection only runs on a single node (the cluster manager).

--
Mark Bergman                                           voice: 215-746-4061
mark.bergman at pennmedicine.upenn.edu                      fax: 215-614-0266