[gpfsug-discuss] Quick delete of huge tree

Ulrich Sibiller u.sibiller at science-computing.de
Tue Apr 20 13:09:42 BST 2021

On 4/20/21 1:47 PM, Jonathan Buzzard wrote:
> You are going to have to remove all the inodes and hence the speed is
> going to be dependant on your metadata performance no matter how you
> approach the problem. I doubt that you are going to get much better than
> a recursive rm.
>
> You could try running a series of parallel rm's attacking subsection of
> the directory tree on different nodes, but I suspect that it will make
> very little difference. You could my sync/restore script to split the
> problem up between different nodes
>
> https://github.com/digitalcabbage/syncrestore

might be worth a try, thanks.

> Does it matter that it takes a long time? Use screen or tmux to run the

Unfortunately it makes sense since I need the sapce for something else...

> command in the background safe from accidental detaches and forget
> about. Check on it now and then to see how it's going or just forget
> about it, it will finish. Something like
>
> screen -S filedel -L -Logfile /tmp/filedel.log -d -m /bin/rm -rf <tree>
>
> Consider using mv to move it out the way or hide it while the delete is
> in progress. If you do that think carefully about backups, you don't
> want to back it all up again while it is being deleted :-)

;-) Yeah, that's why I did not the do the mv in the first place ;-)

Thanks,

Uli

--
Dipl.-Inf. Ulrich Sibiller           science + computing ag
System Administration                    Hagellocher Weg 73
Hotline +49 7071 9457 681          72070 Tuebingen, Germany
                           https://atos.net/de/deutschland/sc
--
Science + Computing AG
Dr. Martin Matzke