[gpfsug-discuss] Question about Policies

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Sat Dec 28 15:17:05 GMT 2019

On 27/12/2019 14:20, david_johnson at brown.edu wrote:
> You would want to look for examples of external scripts that work on the
> result of running the policy engine in listing mode.  The one issue that
> might need some attention is the way that gpfs quotes unprintable
> characters in the pathname. So the policy engine generates the list and
> your external script does the moving.

In my experience a good starting point would be to scan the list of
files from the policy engine and separate the files out into "normal";
that is files using basic ASCII and no special characters and the rest
also known as the "wacky pile".

Given that you are UK based it is not unreasonable to expect all path
and file names to be in English. There might (and if not probably
should) be an institutional policy mandating it. Not much use if a
researcher saves everything in Greek then gets knocked over by a bus and
person picking up the work is Spanish for example.

Hopefully the "wacky pile" is small, however expect to find all sorts of
bizarre file and path names in it. We are talking wildcards, back ticks,
even newline characters to name but a few.

Depending on the amount of data in the "wacky" pile you might just want
to forget about moving them, as they are orders of magnitude more
difficult to deal with than files with "sane" path and file names and
can rapidly soak up large chunks of time trying to deal with them in
scripts.