[gpfsug-discuss] Problem using group pool for migration

Marc A Kaplan makaplan at us.ibm.com
Tue Aug 21 20:45:10 BST 2018

Migrate to a group pool "repacks" the selected files over the pools that
comprise the group IN THE ORDER SPECIFIED UP TO THE SPECIFIED LIMIT for
each pool.  To see this work, in your case, set a limit that is near the
current occupancy of pool 'ssd'.

For example: RULE ‘gp’ GROUP POOL ‘gpool’ is ‘ssd’  LIMIT(50) then ‘disk1’

Notice the documentation says the LIMIT defaults to 99.

Also, if you've run the same policy before and nothings changed much, then
of course, there's not going to be much "repacking" to be done, maybe not
any.

If the behaviour still doesn't make sense to you, try testing on a tiny
file system with just a few small pools, sizing pools and files so that
only a few files will fit in a pool...  If you build such a test scenario
and that still doesn't make sense, show us the example...

-----------------------------------
From:   "Powell (US), Richard E" <Richard.E.Powell at boeing.com>

Hi all,

I’m trying to use the “GROUP POOL” feature for file migration with
FILE_HEAT, similar to one of the ilm sample scripts.  The problem I’m
having is that it seems to be identifying the candidates correctly but,
anytime I use the “group pool” name for the “to pool”, it only selects the
first candidate for migration.  If I specify a single pool name for the
”to pool”, it selects multiple files as expected.

Here are the policy rules I’m using:

RULE ‘gp’ GROUP POOL ‘gpool’ is ‘ssd’ then ‘disk1’
RULE ‘repack’ MIGRATE FROM POOL ‘gpool’ TO POOL ‘gpool’ WEIGHT(FILE_HEAT)

I’m not sure if I’m misunderstanding something or if this is a real bug.
I’m just wondering if anyone else has run into this issue?

I’m running 4.2.3.8 on RHEL 6.

Thanks!
Richard