[gpfsug-discuss] SSUG Meet the Devs - Cloud Workshop

Secretary GPFS UG secretary at gpfsug.org
Thu Sep 15 09:42:54 BST 2016

Hi everyone,

Back by popular demand! We are holding a UK 'Meet the Developers' event
to focus on Cloud topics. We are very lucky to have Dean Hildebrand,
Master Inventor, Cloud Storage Software from IBM over in the UK to lead
this session.

IS IT FOR ME?
Slightly different to the past meet the devs format, this is a cloud
workshop aimed at looking how Spectrum Scale fits in the world of cloud.
Rather than being a series of presentations and discussions led by IBM,
this workshop aims to look at how Spectrum Scale can be used in cloud
environments. This will include using Spectrum Scale as an
infrastructure tool to power private cloud deployments. We will also
look at the challenges of accessing data from cloud deployments and
discuss ways in which this might be accomplished.

If you are currently deploying OpenStack on Spectrum Scale, or plan to
in the near future, then this workshop is for you. Also if you currently
have Spectrum Scale and are wondering how you might get that data into
cloud-enabled workloads or are currently doing so, then again you should
attend. To ensure that the workshop is focused, numbers are limited and
we will initially be limiting to 2 people per organisation/project/site.

WHAT WILL BE DISCUSSED?
Our topics for the day will include on-premise (private) clouds,
on-premise self-service (public) clouds, off-premise clouds (Amazon
etc.) as well as covering technologies including OpenStack, Docker,
Kubernetes and security requirements around multi-tenancy. We probably
don't have all the answers for these, but we'd like to understand the
requirements and hear people's ideas. Please let us know what you would
like to discuss when you register.

Arrival is from 10:00 with discussion kicking off from 10:30. The agenda
is open discussion though we do aim to talk over a number of key topics.
We hope to have the ever popular (though usually late!) pizza for lunch.

WHEN
Thursday 20th October 2016 from 10:00 AM to 3:30 PM

WHERE
IT Services, University of Birmingham - Elms Road Edgbaston, Birmingham,
B15 2TT

REGISTER
Please register for the event in advance:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ssug-meet-the-devs-cloud-workshop-tickets-27725390389
[1] Numbers are limited and we will initially be limiting to 2 people
per organisation/project/site.

We look forward to seeing you there!
--

Claire O'Toole
Spectrum Scale/GPFS User Group Secretary

Links:
------
[1]
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ssug-meet-the-devs-cloud-workshop-tickets-27725390389