[gpfsug-discuss] occupancy percentage for a pool

Vladimir Sapunenko vladimir.sapunenko at cnaf.infn.it
Wed Mar 27 14:58:35 GMT 2024

Hello,

since the early days of GPFS there was a limitation of using only
integer values in the LIMIT directive for placement policy rules.

Now it seems outdated and GPFS documentation says  "You can specify
OccupancyPercentage as a floating point number , as in the following
example:

RULE 'r' RESTORE to pool 'x' limit(8.9e1)

However, 8.9e1 = 89, and I'm wondering if it is acceptable to define
limit  99.5%  in file placement policy like this:

RULE 'DATA3' SET POOL 'data2' LIMIT(99.5)

mmchpolicy does not complain to such values. My doubt is if GPFS really
uses fractions of a percent in occupancy calculation.

Is anybody using such limits?

(0.5% in my case make a difference because it corresponds to about 60TB)

Thanks,

Vladimir