[gpfsug-discuss] ESS GL2 data to new ESS3500

Walter Sklenka Walter.Sklenka at EDV-Design.at
Thu Jun 13 15:38:47 BST 2024

Hi Ed!
Thank you very much for the suggestion. So do you think  I am  able to create a new rg on ess3500 , create vdisks and nsds for new pool in “GL4-provided filesystem” ?
I still do not understand what the limitations are between 5.0.5 gpfs code and erase code  and the new codes  of 5.1.x , which prohibits me to create rgs or nsds in the same pool

Best regards
Walter

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Walter Sklenka
Technical Consultant

EDV-Design Informationstechnologie GmbH
Giefinggasse 6/1/2, A-1210 Wien
Tel: +43 1 29 22 165-31
Fax: +43 1 29 22 165-90
E-Mail: sklenka at edv-design.at<mailto:sklenka at edv-design.at>
Internet: www.edv-design.at<http://www.edv-design.at/>

From: gpfsug-discuss <gpfsug-discuss-bounces at gpfsug.org> On Behalf Of Wahl, Edward
Sent: Donnerstag, 13. Juni 2024 14:58
To: gpfsug main discussion list <gpfsug-discuss at gpfsug.org>
Subject: Re: [gpfsug-discuss] ESS GL2 data to new ESS3500

If you are wanting seamless: Create a new pool in your existing file system, a new placement policy, and a use a movement policy to move the old data between the pools.  The new placement policy will ensure new data is only written to the new location.
Then when the old GL2 pool is empty you can remove it/offline it/whatever.

Ed Wahl
Ohio Supercomputer Center