[gpfsug-discuss] ssh authentication on CES nodes

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Tue Jul 23 12:29:56 BST 2024

On Tue, 2024-07-23 at 10:11 +0000, Paul Ward wrote:
> Hi Ivano,
>
> I am curious about this line of your message:
> “For us that's quite annoying, since we can't login with our
> personal/central accounts and then sudo.”
>
> We only allow administrator access to the GPFS cluster via the EMS
> nodes. We will be restricting them to MFA based access.
> We then navigate to all other nodes from one of them.

My guess would be that administrators log onto the cluster using their
personal/central accounts and then use sudo to issue administrative
commands. This creates a log of who issued what commands at what time.
Useful when you have more than one administrator and provides a level
of tracking.

Though personally I think using your "personal" everyday account for
this is suboptimal. Best practice would suggest have a separate
personal administrator account. So for example in a previous life my
normal everyday account was njab14 no different than anyone else's
account, but my I had a separate account administrator account was
sjab14. That could do things like sudo had rights in the AD etc. etc.

You can also do things like create groups of users that can log onto
things that normal users cant.