[gpfsug-discuss] GUI needs GNR?

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Tue Jan 16 23:23:55 GMT 2024

On 16/01/2024 17:24, scale wrote:

> Is this a new install or an upgrade?
>
> Usually, if the GUI “sees” a recovery group or the setting
> "nsdRAIDTracks" it determines that it is running on a GNR system and
> only then it will require the GNR package.

It was a "new" install on a traditional DSS-G system with SR-650's and
attached storage enclosures. However it turns out that Lenovo only
support the GUI on Lenovo hardware running RHEL and deployed via
xCAT/confluent.

I might have been able to bodge it had the servers not being running
Ubuntu, but they where because RHEL8 had dropped support for the RAID
card. As such the gpfs.gui RPM's where as much use to me as a chocolate
teapot. Well I guess I could have had tried using alien but that is
getting a long way off the beaten path.

The result is we have ordered a pair of refurb 1U X3550 M5's to run it
on that are supported and quite a bit newer too. Hopefully with a fully
supported configuration it will be much simpler.