[gpfsug-discuss] sequential I/O write - performance

Alec anacreo at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 19:14:22 GMT 2024

You know I hadn't seen the original message when I commented earlier, sorry
about that.

It may sound dumb but have you tried tuning downwards as Zdenek says?  Try
the storage on a single RAID group and a 1MB block size, and then move up
from there.  We're on practically ancient infrastructure compared to what
you have and get throughput equivalent.

   - Try returning the page pool to 8GB maybe you're prefetching TOO much
   data (this effect happens on Oracle when it is given too much memory
   everything slows to a crawl as it tries to keep every DB in memory).
   - Define your FS on a single RAID group, see what your max performance
   is (are you sure you're not wrapping any disk/controller access with so
   many platters being engaged adding latency?)
   - Tune your block size to 1MB. (the large block size could add latency
   depending on how the storage is handling that chunk)

Once you've got a baseline on a more normal configuration you can scale up
one variable at a time and see what gives better or worse performance.  At
IBM labs we were able to achieve 2.5GB/s on a single thread and 18GB/s to
an ESS on a single Linux VM and our GPFS configuration was more or less
baseline and with 1MB block size if I remember right.

I'm building on Zdenek's answer as it's likely the step I would take in
this instance, look for areas where the scale of your configuration could
be introducing latencies.

Alec