[gpfsug-discuss] sequential I/O write - performance

dale mac macthev at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 21:32:17 GMT 2024

Michal,

I think you need to revise your testing method. Let me explain.

Based on my understandings:

3 FE servers and one storage system

~4500 MiB/s from 8 RAID groups using XFS (one XFS per one RAID group) and parallel fio test.
 one FS accross all 8 RAID groups and we observed performance drop down to ~3300

The test you are running is a non-clustered fs versus a clustered fs.

XFS,

8 XFS filesystems.
Each FS has it own Array and independent Meta, not shared between nodes
Array will see sequential IO for each array and will be able to aggregate IO’s and prefetch on write.
No lock traffic between nodes
Didn’t mention for the FIO runs is this one node or the three nodes with fs’s spread across?

Clusterd,

1 Filesystem (fs0) In this case
Parallel Filsystem with shared Meta and access
Lock and Meta traffic across nodes
GPFS Stripes across NSD, 8 in this case.
Each FIO stream will in a less sequential stream at the array level
The LBA will be spread causing the array to work harder
Array logics will not see this a sequential and delivery a much lower performance from a sequential point of view.

What to do,

Try
8 FS with your FIO test like XFS test
1 FS 1 Array and matching 1 FIO ( then x8 result)

PS: You haven’t mention the type of array used? Sometimes the following is important.

Disable prefetch at the array.  This causes the array to sometimes over work it backend due to incorrectly fetching data that is never used causing xtra io and cache displacement.  Ie GPFS aggressively prefetches which triggers the array to do further prefetch and both are not used.

Dale