[gpfsug-discuss] Unexpected permissions with ACLs

Dietrich, Stefan stefan.dietrich at desy.de
Fri Sep 15 07:32:23 BST 2023

Hi,

since Scale 5.1.3, there's also a new parameter for filesets to control the behaviour of umask & ACLs:

man mmchfileset|mmcrfileset

--allow-permission-inherit PermissionInheritMode

inheritAclOnly
    Specifies that permissions of a newly created object will be inherited only from its parent's NFSv4 ACL.

inheritAclAndAddMode
    Specifies that permissions of a newly created object will be inherited from its parent's NFSv4 ACL and the special entries OWNER, GROUP, and EVERYONE will use the provided mode and the umask from the open() or creat() call to set the new mode permissions.

With the default inheritAclOnly, umask is ignored and only the inherited ACLs will be applied to newly created files.
With inheritAclAndAddMode the umask is used in addition to inherited ACLs for new files.

Regards,
Stefan