[gpfsug-discuss] List of deleted files via policies

Alec anacreo at gmail.com
Tue May 30 17:33:25 BST 2023

I do something where I make sure all my files are in my backup server...

So I will pull the full index from the backup server...

And I will use a generated list of files on the file system...  Using a
GPFS policy...

And pulling indexes and comparing about 1.3 million files on both sides of
the diff takes about 3 minutes.  The sorts takes a bit of time but the
whole thing runs in 6 minutes as I run both sorts and pulls in parallel.

So I would recommend just generating the file listing using a mmfind or an
apply policy at time of snapshot and doing it again at a different time and
just running a diff command to find missing entries.

Depending on the amount of data you could probably combine the date and
inode into a single field and only sort those and compare then join the
filename using the inode..  depends on how big your filesystem index would
be.

Good luck on this one.  But it is very nice to know every morning which 16
files out of millions aren't in the backup because their filenames are too
crazy.. lol

Alec