[gpfsug-discuss] Support for TLS 1.3 to work with SKLM

Wahl, Edward ewahl at osc.edu
Wed May 24 17:31:06 BST 2023

Do not forget, There ARE some limitations to using encryption with GPFS.
Example: Using GPFS encryption means you lose the ability to put small files into the inode space (a HUGE speed increase normally) and HAWC (highly available write cache) and I thought LROC, but I could be wrong about that last one as it’s been a while since I read about that.

Scale still uses a primary/backup method for encryption access which I dislike. I would LOVE if it had options such as round robin or other method (random,etc). And their “hey, just change up the order in the config file on your nodes” isn’t simple at Scale if you use methods like NFS root or other stateless setups for moderate to large numbers of compute clients.

And lastly I REALLY REALLY REALLY hate that SKLM has dumped their command line for REST only access, and is also switching from PVUs to a capacity based-style license.

Just my .02

Ed Wahl
Ohio Supercomputer Center