[gpfsug-discuss] How to: Show clients actively connected to a given NFS export (CES)

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at rutgers.edu
Thu Mar 23 13:30:27 GMT 2023

I had basically /just/ started calling it Spectrum Scale. 😝 So I guess I’m at least partially responsible for the name change.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 23, 2023, at 09:25, Kidger, Daniel <daniel.kidger at hpe.com> wrote:

It is simple really….

The product is called “Storage Scale”.

It used to be called “Spectrum Scale” but that being abbreviated to “SS” was a problem, hence the recent change. :-)
As an appliance it is called ESS = “Elastic Storage System” since before being called Spectrum Scale, it was briefly called “Elastic Storage”
All the software RPMs though still start with “gpfs” and that is what every techie person still calls the software.
The software unpacks to /usr/lpp/mmfs/bin since the product was once the “MultiMedia FileSystem”
The ‘lpp’ comes from AIX. It stands for “Licensed Programming Product “. This term is lost on everyone who comes from a Linux background.
Likewise no one from the Linux world know what ‘adm’ is, as in /var/adm/ras  (or ras?)

There are c. 333 ‘mm’ commands like say ‘mmdeldisk’. None are actual binaries – all are Korn shell scripts (Korn was a shell language that Bash eventually replaced)
*(actually a few mm commands are written in Python not Korn.)
Most mm command call underlying binaries which all start with ‘ts’  eg ‘tsdeldisk’. This is, as we all know is become the product was known as TigerShark but no one could be bothered renaming stuff when “TigerShark” as a name was dropped 25 years ago.

Simple?

Daniel Kidger
HPC Storage Solutions Architect, EMEA
daniel.kidger at hpe.com<mailto:daniel.kidger at hpe.com>