[gpfsug-discuss] mmbackup vs SOBAR

Stephan Graf st.graf at fz-juelich.de
Thu Mar 9 18:22:35 GMT 2023

Hi Rob,

we in Jülich have a long history and experience using GPFS & HSM.
We don't use SOBAR (which is for disaster recovery) but mmbackup (single
file restore).
In principle it is working fine. But there are two problems.

The first one is if the user rename the file/directory. If renamed, the
file(s) must be backed up again and will trigger a recall(inline tape
copy). The same happens if ACLs are modified on files.
This is working, but if we are scaling up (1K ore more files are
effected, we are storing >40PB in these file systems), the inline tape
copy for backup is not tape optimized and will take a long time.

If you want more details, you can contact me directly.

Stephan

Stephan Graf
Juelich Supercomputing Centre

Phone:  +49-2461-61-6578
Fax:    +49-2461-61-6656
E-mail: st.graf at fz-juelich.de
WWW:    http://www.fz-juelich.de/jsc/
Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: MinDir Volker Rieke
Karsten Beneke (stellv. Vorsitzender), Dr. Astrid Lambrecht,
Prof. Dr. Frauke Melchior