[gpfsug-discuss] kernel updates and GPFS modules: manual, DKMS, cron, other?

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at rutgers.edu
Mon Mar 6 16:28:25 GMT 2023

On Mar 3, 2023, at 15:05, Jonathan Buzzard <jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk> wrote:

I would suggest that you disable any automatic upgrading of the kernel. Kernel upgrades should *only* be done *after* you have verified that it will work.

If you don't it is only a matter of time before a security update breaks GPFS. There was at least one instance of that happing in the last five years.

Definitely more than once, and technically you should not upgrade at all unless the kernel is specifically listed as supported on this page, otherwise you may get to be the one that finds the non-obvious compatibility bug:

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/spectrum-scale?topic=STXKQY/gpfsclustersfaq.html

As a result, we typically don’t bother with any automatic updating of GPFS, because if we’re going to upgrade either GPFS or the kernel, we already know about it and do it on purpose. We also build the RPMs on one system, since the vast majority of our equipment does not have the full compiler set installed.

--
#BlackLivesMatter
____
||_// the State  |         Ryan Novosielski - novosirj at rutgers.edu
|| \\ University | Sr. Technologist - 973/972.0922 (2x0922) ~*~ RBHS Campus
||  \\    of NJ  | Office of Advanced Research Computing - MSB C630, Newark
     `'