[gpfsug-discuss] CES, Ganesha, and Filesystem_id

Leonardo Sala leonardo.sala at psi.ch
Tue Jun 27 15:17:41 BST 2023

Hallo,

we are checking our current CES configuration, and we noticed that by
default GPFS puts always Filesystem_Id=666.666 [*], no matter which
Export_Id value the export has. To my understanding (which is poor!),
this means that all clients will see all our exports (~20) with the same
device number, creating various possible issues (e.g. file state
handles). Questions:

* is there a reason for such default value? If we change it, are there
unpleasant effects we could see?

* what would be a reasonable value? Looking around I saw that
Filesystem_Id = Export_Id.Export_Id is quite common, with the possible
issue of using the forbidden 152.152 [**]

* what happens if we actually remove the Filesytem_Id parameter from
gpfs.ganesha.exports.conf?

* is there a way to modify Filesystem_Id in gpfs.ganesha.exports.conf
without editing the file, eg using mmnfs commands (seems not, but I
might be mistaken)?

Thanks a lot!

cheers

leo