[gpfsug-discuss] Special characters in filenames

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Wed Jul 5 23:20:44 BST 2023

After another support incident that eventually transpired to be down to
the user using what I will call stupid characters in their filenames (we
include a section on not doing this in our mandatory training so no
excuse) I have been musing on using the policy engine to periodically
produce lists of files that have stupid characters in their filenames so
we can proactively educate the users and get them to rename their files
to something sensible :-)

The issue is of course the stupid characters include all the regular
expression wildcard characters in addition to \n, \r and backticks. I am
coming up short on escaping them correctly in REGEX() for the policy engine.

The documentation appears to be devoid of help on the subject, because
of course only an fool would be including these characters in their
filenames...

Anyone any idea on how to do this?