[gpfsug-discuss] Vmtouch on GPFS is supported?

Alec anacreo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 20:28:29 BST 2023

You should keep in mind that GPFS primarily ships out configured for large
sequential read/write as it's you know a multimedia file system...

Not knowing your application, but assuming it maybe has a ton of little
library files and such it's trying to keep track of I'd make sure to do the
following optimizations:

 - Increase page pool maybe to 8gb or more.
 - Change maxfiles pagepool tracks from 4k to like 10k or 40k.
 - If you're not doing a separate meta device, i would ensure you are doing
that.  Then I'd also ensure it was on SSD or similar media and pinned to
SSD if over SAN.

For data like this on our AIX environment we will keep a jfs2 volume for
it.. because it will just stay in RAM because we have 100gb free.  And so
for large sorts and quick load of random I/O this outperforms GPFS.

GPFS secret benefit is that it prevents memory cache thrashing by not
caching large data.... But this may be holding your app back.  I couldn't
find/remember the setting but I believe there is somewhere where it decides
anything over like 1mb isn't worth caching, maybe that needs to be tuned
for your instance.

Alec