[gpfsug-discuss] Supported samba options

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Fri Sep 16 22:40:42 BST 2022

On 16/09/2022 11:02, Paul Ward wrote:

> Thanks Christof,
>
> But we are already using 'hosts deny', 'hosts allow' and 'valid users' which appear to have been implemented.
> Is there a document showing what is implemented, rather than just supported.
>
> If there are supported commands, that replace the three I have mentioned (and force user/ force group) please let me know.
>
> We have shares where we want to restrict access to one of more servers, no password required.
> And shares where we want to restrict access to multiple AD users, currently not specified in AD groups, although that is an option.

In my experience, though this was all many years ago, as I have not run
Samba on GPFS for over a decade now (it's about to change as I am in the
process of setting up some protocol nodes) the force user, etc. etc. did
not work well.

The "right" solution is or certainly was to use NFSv4 ACL's and the
vfs_gpfs module to make it all work as near as possible to a Windows server.

I of course had the realization a couple of days ago that I am going to
have to put NFSv4 ACL's on everything in the file system which means
backing it all up again :-(