[gpfsug-discuss] RHEL9?

Christof Schmitt christof.schmitt at us.ibm.com
Thu Sep 15 18:39:59 BST 2022

On Thu, 2022-09-15 at 09:26 -0700, Alec wrote:
> Did you guys happen to read the patch?  It doesn't just silently fix
> the behaviour..  now if it reaches that point I believe you'll get
> back an scp error.  I don't think you're out of the woods.  So now no
> data loss, but the scp will come back with an error..  may take code
> changes to handle that still.  Thanks for sharing the thread on this
> one.

The code just omits the O_TRUC flag. And the result is as expected,
scp from and to the same file no longer truncates the file. The
fix is already available in the latest CentOS9 stream updates, in
case you want to test this.

> Now, how do I get IBM Bug Proxy to insist that rsync copy operations
> fallback to a non-compare method when working on local... I don't
> think users expect rsync to go as slow as it does when used on local
> to local copies.  Apparently they don't care about my bug reports as
> much as IBMs.

Reporting the problem to the rsync project could be another option.

Christof