[gpfsug-discuss] RHEL9?

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at rutgers.edu
Wed Sep 14 18:18:54 BST 2022

> On Sep 14, 2022, at 12:41 PM, Christof Schmitt <christof.schmitt at us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
>> Also reading the 5.1.5.1 notices, it seems to suggest support for
>> RHEL8.5 was dropped and only 8.4 and 8.6 supported?
>
> The general strategy is that Scale does not support any distro releases
> that are out of support by the Linux vendor. If there is a distro
> related problem, we need to have a way to get Linux support involved.
> Since the release of RHEL 8.6 ended support for RHEL 8.5, 8.5 is
> dropped from Scale. RHEL 8.4 and 8.6 receive EUS updates, so those are
> supported longer:
>
> https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata#RHEL8_and_9_Life_Cycle

Just while we’re talking about this, if I can offer a slight tangent, I’d appreciate it if IBM made sure to support the final point release of a RedHat major version, regardless of whether it has EUS status or not (I can’t speak to why it wouldn’t, or if that’s an unusual case). I don’t remember the specifics surrounding what happened with RHEL 7.8 and 7.9 at this point with Spectrum Scale 4.2.3.x (and it was also an unusual situation where DDN equipment got dead-ended, making moving to a later version much more complicated than it ordinarily would be), but I remember that I was stuck in a position of choosing between security patches or Spectrum Scale support. It’s understandable if the OS itself is no longer supported that we’d need to purchase EUS, but that wasn’t the case with RHEL 7.9.

--
#BlackLivesMatter
____
||_// the State	 |         Ryan Novosielski - novosirj at rutgers.edu
|| \\ University | Sr. Technologist - 973/972.0922 (2x0922) ~*~ RBHS Campus
||  \\    of NJ	 | Office of Advanced Research Computing - MSB C630, Newark
     `'