[gpfsug-discuss] Release date for wide links support

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Tue Sep 13 15:23:23 BST 2022

On Tue, 2022-09-13 at 12:34 +0000, Talamo Ivano Giuseppe (PSI) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a question that's probably more for the IBM people in this
> group.
> A few months ago I added the idea [1] in the IBM portal to introduce
> again the wide links support in the samba shares and it is
> currently in the "Planned for future release" status.
> Considering that one of our cluster is somehow dependent on this
> feature, is there any way to know in which release/date it will be
> implemented?

If wide links is enabled in Samba you can kiss good by too any security
you had. I was under the impression that the Samba guys had actually
removed suppor for it for this reason. I would be surprised if it was
being added back in. It would certainly a retrograde step.

TL;DR if you are using wide links in Samba you need to come up with an
alternative solution that is actual secure ASAP.