[gpfsug-discuss] NF4 ACLs

Alec anacreo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 10:27:06 BST 2022

I believe this ACL will achieve what you're trying to do... with POSIX
permissions normally you would set 770 umask and a file create does not
preserve execute by default, where a directory does.  I have just now
learned that with ACL's it does what you told it to do.  So we have to
recreate that behaviour by having a separate inheritance for both File and
Directory.

The last bit, how to preserve the sticky bit, I couldn't quite figure out
on a whim... but when I did a "chmod g+s .", the proper "DirInherit and
FileInherit:InheritOnly" were added into the ACL... and things worked as
expected.

$ mmgetacl .
#NFSv4 ACL
#owner:someuser
#group:somegroup
special:owner@:rwxc:allow:DirInherit
 (X)READ/LIST (X)WRITE/CREATE (X)APPEND/MKDIR (X)SYNCHRONIZE (X)READ_ACL
(X)READ_ATTR  (X)READ_NAMED
 (-)DELETE    (X)DELETE_CHILD (X)CHOWN        (X)EXEC/SEARCH (X)WRITE_ACL
(X)WRITE_ATTR (X)WRITE_NAMED

special:owner@:rw-c:allow:FileInherit:InheritOnly
 (X)READ/LIST (X)WRITE/CREATE (X)APPEND/MKDIR (X)SYNCHRONIZE (X)READ_ACL
(X)READ_ATTR  (X)READ_NAMED
 (-)DELETE    (X)DELETE_CHILD (X)CHOWN        (-)EXEC/SEARCH (X)WRITE_ACL
(X)WRITE_ATTR (X)WRITE_NAMED

special:group@:rwx-:allow:DirInherit
 (X)READ/LIST (X)WRITE/CREATE (-)APPEND/MKDIR (X)SYNCHRONIZE (X)READ_ACL
(X)READ_ATTR  (X)READ_NAMED
 (X)DELETE    (X)DELETE_CHILD (-)CHOWN        (X)EXEC/SEARCH (-)WRITE_ACL
(-)WRITE_ATTR (-)WRITE_NAMED

special:group@:rw--:allow:FileInherit:InheritOnly
 (X)READ/LIST (X)WRITE/CREATE (-)APPEND/MKDIR (X)SYNCHRONIZE (X)READ_ACL
(X)READ_ATTR  (X)READ_NAMED
 (X)DELETE    (-)DELETE_CHILD (-)CHOWN        (-)EXEC/SEARCH (-)WRITE_ACL
(-)WRITE_ATTR (-)WRITE_NAMED

special:everyone@:----:allow:FileInherit:DirInherit
 (-)READ/LIST (-)WRITE/CREATE (-)APPEND/MKDIR (-)SYNCHRONIZE (-)READ_ACL
(-)READ_ATTR  (-)READ_NAMED
 (-)DELETE    (-)DELETE_CHILD (-)CHOWN        (-)EXEC/SEARCH (-)WRITE_ACL
(-)WRITE_ATTR (-)WRITE_NAMED