[gpfsug-discuss] Nfs4 ACLs and rsync

Losen, Stephen C (scl) scl at virginia.edu
Wed Sep 7 22:55:54 BST 2022

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a file copying utility that lets nfs4 ACEs propagate unchanged? I am trying to use rsync, but it always modifies (or removes) the ACEs that I want to propagate via inheritance on newly created files. In contrast, this is not a problem when I create a new file with output redirect (such as: echo test > testfile) so rsync is doing something different. I have read the rsync man page thoroughly and tried many different options, but I’m afraid that rsync always calls chmod() or something on newly created files, which undermines ACE inheritance.

I am migrating files from a NFS mounted Qumulo NAS on a system that is also a GPF cluster node, so it’s a local rsync from the NFS filesystem to the GPFS filesystem.

Steve Losen
Research Computing
University of Virginia
scl at virginia.edu<mailto:scl at virginia.edu>  434-924-0640