[gpfsug-discuss] default value of SIZE in EXTERNAL POOL and EXTERNAL LIST rule

Alec anacreo at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 00:39:24 BST 2022

I'd like to offer a dissenting opinion...  I believe this is a way to limit
the number of actual bytes that any execution must work on....  As in only
send 500gb worth of files to each invocation.  Whereas the -B is the actual
number of files to be passed to each invocation.  I would think that size
has no default limit as I've had a single invocation stuck with 30TB of
data in its 100 file grouping, lol.

I however use a different mechanism to divy up my files because I need to
worry about my backup streams getting choked up, and I want to take a cross
section of each directory on different nights...

I call mmapplypolicy with -M shares=<someincrementingnumber>, so let's say
I increase my number by 1 every day, starting at 0, over the course of a
week...

In my policy I have this line:
  WHERE MOD(INODE,6)<=shares

So then I work on 1/7th of the files in my file system and cumulatively
pick up any INODES until I've hit all of the files... I could pick just the
matching segment by saying = instead of <=.

This is happening at the file selection phase, so the application of -B is
after this selection, as my files are quite huge, I tend to use -B 1.

Alec