[gpfsug-discuss] Protection against silent data corruption

Stephan Graf st.graf at fz-juelich.de
Thu Jun 2 15:31:43 BST 2022

Hi,

I am wondering if there is an option in SS to enable some checking to
detect silent data corruption.

Form GNR I know that there is End-to-End integrity. So a checksum is
stored in addition.

The background is that we are facing an issue where in some files (which
have data replication =  2) the mmrestripefile is reporting, that one
block is mismatching it's copy (the storage cluster is running SS
without GNR).
We have validated that the copied block is fine, but the original one is
broken (and this is what is returned on read access).
SS right now in our installation is unable to determine which is the
correct one.
Is there any option to enable this kind of feature in SS? If not, does
it make sense to create an "IDEA" for it?

Stephan

--
Stephan Graf
Juelich Supercomputing Centre

Phone:  +49-2461-61-6578
Fax:    +49-2461-61-6656
E-mail: st.graf at fz-juelich.de
WWW:    http://www.fz-juelich.de/jsc/
Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: MinDir Volker Rieke
Karsten Beneke (stellv. Vorsitzender), Dr. Astrid Lambrecht,
Prof. Dr. Frauke Melchior