[gpfsug-discuss] How do I add a new IP to the configuration?

Alec anacreo at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 00:02:10 GMT 2022

It sounds like you are attempting to add multiple networks to the same
interface.

So if your existing ESS is not on a network that is routed to your new
clients then you'll need to do one of the following:

1) Establish routing between the new ESS client IP's and your existing ESS
servers.
2) Add a Virtual Interface with that network's VLAN on it (or the VLAN of a
network that is routed to the new client).
3) Configure new interfaces on the ESS with the new network.

No one else answered, and unfortunately I don't own an ESS so I can't tell
you had to do step #2.

But typically a scenario would look like this:

ESS
  1st interface IP is 192.168.1.150 subnetmask 255.255.0.0 and default
gateway 192.168.0.1

  With this anything in the 192.168.x.x address space could be added to the
1st interface as they are all local to that address.

  Now you're presented with needing to offer data to something on IP
10.1.20.30, and 192.168.0.1 doesn't know how to reach that interface, or we
don't want that data flowing across routes.

  If we don't want to add another physical interface to ESS we have to get
into VLAN configuration (Virtual LAN)...

  Now we say VLAN 0 is going to be 192.168.0.0 network and it's the default
network (anything not tagged goes there)...
  And the network team has 10.0.0.0 network on VLAN 10...  So we ask the
network team to add VLAN 10 to our 1st interface.  It should now have VLAN
0 and VLAN 10.

  I don't know how but somehow in the ESS you're now going to have to add a
new virtual adapter that is bound to VLAN 10... and since the first
interface didn't have VLAN's it will continue to use the now default VLAN 0.

  Once we have that 2nd virtual adaptor on VLAN 10 we can define it as...
    2nd interface (still on the 1st physical interface, but a virtual
adapter) IP is 10.240.1.150 (let's say 10.240 is going to be the ESS's
portion of the 10 network)..  and we define the subnetmask 255.0.0.0 and
maybe no route...

It really needs for your network team to define how they want you to
proceed and then figure out how the ESS can be configured to consume that
network design.

What you can't do is straight up put two IP's from different subnets on the
same interface.  Essentially the logical interface will look at it's IP,
it's Subnet combine the values with your new IP and say, hey wrong network.

Alec