[gpfsug-discuss] How to do multiple mounts via GPFS

Tina Friedrich tina.friedrich at it.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 22 18:12:23 GMT 2022

Bind mounts would definitely work; you can also use the automounter to
bind-mount things into place. That's how we do that.

E.g.

[ ~]$ cat /etc/auto.data
/data localhost://mnt/gpfs/bulk/data

[ ~]$ cat /etc/auto.master | grep data
# data
/- /etc/auto.data

works very well :) (That automatically bind-mounts it.)

You could then also only mount user home directories if they're logged
in, instead of showing all of them under /home/. Autofs can do pretty
nice wildcarding and such.

I would call bind mounting things - regardless of how - a better
solution than symlinks, but that might just be my opinion :)

Tina

--
Tina Friedrich, Advanced Research Computing Snr HPC Systems Administrator

Research Computing and Support Services
IT Services, University of Oxford
http://www.arc.ox.ac.uk http://www.it.ox.ac.uk