[gpfsug-discuss] Spectrum Scale and vfs_fruit

Michael Meier michael.meier at fau.de
Tue Feb 1 11:20:37 GMT 2022

Hi,

A bunch of security updates for Samba were released yesterday, most
importantly among them CVE-2021-44142
(https://www.samba.org/samba/security/CVE-2021-44142.html) in the
vfs_fruit VFS-module that adds extended support for Apple Clients.
Spectrum Scale supports that, so Spectrum Scale might be affected, and
I'm trying to find out if we're affected or not.

Now we never enabled this via "mmsmb config change --vfs-fruit-enable",
and I would expect this to be disabled by default - however, I cannot
find an explicit statement like "by default this is disabled" in
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/spectrum-scale/5.1.2?topic=services-support-vfs-fruit-smb-protocol

Am I correct in assuming that it is indeed disabled by default?
And how would I verify that?
Am I correct in assuming that _if_ it was enabled, then 'fruit' would
show up under the 'vfs objects' in 'mmsmb config list'?

Regards,
--
Michael Meier, HPC Services
Friedrich-Alexander-Universitaet Erlangen-Nuernberg
michael.meier at fau.de
hpc.fau.de