[gpfsug-discuss] /tmp/mmfs vanishes randomly?

Pavel Safre PSAFRE at de.ibm.com
Fri Nov 19 13:49:11 GMT 2021

Hello Heiner,

just a heads up for you and the other storage admins, regularly cleaning
up /tmp, regarding one aspect to keep in mind:

- If you are using Spectrum Scale software call home (mmcallhome), it
would be using the directory ${dataStructureDump}/callhome to save the
copies of the uploaded data.
        This would be /tmp/mmfs/callhome/ in your case, which you would be
automatically regularly removing.
- These copies are used by one of the features of call home: "mmcallhome
status diff"
        - This feature allows to see an overview of the Spectrum Scale
configuration changes, that occurred between 2 different points in time.
        - This effectively allows to quickly find out if any config
changes occurred prior to an outage, thereby helping to find the root
cause of self-caused problems in the Scale cluster.
        - It was added in Scale 5.0.5.0
        See IBM KC for more details:
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/spectrum-scale/5.1.0?topic=cch-use-cases-detecting-system-changes-by-using-mmcallhome-command

        - As a source of the "config snapshots", mmcallhome status diff is
using the DC packages inside of ${dataStructureDump}/callhome, which you
would be regularly deleting, thereby hugely reducing the usability of this
particular feature.
- Of course, software call home automatically makes sure, it will not use
too much space in dataStructureDump and it automatically removes the
oldest entries, keeping at most 2GB or 300 files inside (default values,
configurable).

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Pavel Safre

Software Engineer
IBM Systems Group, IBM Spectrum Scale Development
Dept. M925

Phone:

Email:
psafre at de.ibm.com
 Wilhelm-Fay-Straße 32

 65936 Frankfurt am Main

IBM Data Privacy Statement
IBM Deutschland Research & Development GmbH / Vorsitzender des
Aufsichtsrats: Gregor Pillen
Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart,
HRB 243294