[gpfsug-discuss] Ransom attacks

Skylar Thompson skylar2 at uw.edu
Thu May 27 16:23:48 BST 2021

You can get clever/complicated (the interpretation could go either way)
with ACLs and SELinux but, at the end of the day, nothing beats the air-gap
of tape backups, IMHO. You might consider a belt&suspenders approach that
includes all of the above plus other controls (2FA, network security,
etc.), and in my experience combining multiple solutions gives flexibility
in that it can be easier to avoid the higher-cost aspects of one solution
taken to an extreme by having one layer mitigate the shortcomings of
another layer.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar2 at u.washington.edu)
-- Genome Sciences Department (UW Medicine), System Administrator