[gpfsug-discuss] Self service creation of filesets

Robert Horton robert.horton at icr.ac.uk
Thu Mar 4 09:51:45 GMT 2021

On Wed, 2021-03-03 at 12:14 -0500, Russell Nordquist wrote:
CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the ICR. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender's email address and know the content is safe.

Sounds like I am not the only one that needs this. The REST API has everything needed to do this, but the problem is we can’t restrict the GUI role account to just the commands they need. They need “storage administrator” access which means the could also make/delete filesystems. I guess you could use sudo and wrap the CLI, but I am told that’s old fashioned :)  Too bad we can’t make a API role with specific POST commands tied to it. I am surprised there is no RFE for that yet. The closest I see is
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=148244 am I missing something.

That reminds me... We use a Python wrapper around the REST API to monitor usage against fileset quotas etc. In principle this will also set quotas (and create filesets) but it means giving it storage administrator access. It would be nice if the GUI had sufficiently fine grained permissions that you could set quotas without being able to delete the filesystem.

Rob

--

Robert Horton | Research Data Storage Lead
The Institute of Cancer Research | 237 Fulham Road | London | SW3 6JB

This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addressee only.  If the message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the message from your computer and network.