[gpfsug-discuss] Self service creation of filesets

Loic Tortay tortay at cc.in2p3.fr
Wed Mar 3 08:06:37 GMT 2021

On 02/03/2021 20:31, Russell Nordquist wrote:
> Hi all
>
> We are trying to use filesets quite a bit, but it’s a hassle that only the admins can create them. To the users it’s just a directory so it slows things down. Has anyone deployed a self service model for creating filesets? Maybe using the API? This feels like shared pain that someone has already worked on….

Hello,
We have a quota management delegation (CLI) tool that allows
"power-users" (PI and such) to create and remove filesets and manage
users quotas for the groups/projects they're heading.

Like someone else said, from their point of view they're just
directories, so they create a "directory with quotas".
In our experience, "directories with quotas" are the most convenient way
for end-users to understand and use quotas.

This is a tool written in C, about 13 years ago, using the GPFS API (and
a few calls to GPFS commands where there is no API or it's lacking).

Delegation authorization (identifying "power-users") is external to the
tool.

Permissions & ACLs are also set on the junction when a fileset is
created so that it's both immediately usable ("instant processing") and
accessible to "power-users" (for space management purposes).

There are extra features for staff to allow higher-level operations
(e.g. create an independent fileset for a group/project, change the
group/project quotas, etc.)

The dated looking user documentation is
https://ccspsmon.in2p3.fr/spsquota.html

Both the tool and the documentation have a few site-specific things, so
it's not open-source (and it has become a "legacy" tool in need of a
rewrite/refactoring).

Loïc.
--
|   Loïc Tortay <tortay at cc.in2p3.fr>  -     IN2P3 Computing Centre     |