[gpfsug-discuss] Self service creation of filesets

Simon Thompson S.J.Thompson at bham.ac.uk
Tue Mar 2 22:38:17 GMT 2021

Not quite user self-service ....

But we have some web tooling for project registration that pushes sanitised messages onto a redis (rq) backed message bus which then does "stuff". For example create and populate groups in AD and LDAP. Create and link a fileset, set quota etc ... Our consumer code is all built to be tolerant to running it a second time safely and has quite a bit of internal locking to prevent multiple instances running at the same time (though we have multiple consumer entities to handle fail-over). The fault tolerant thing is quite important as create a fileset can fail for a number of reasons (e.g. restripefs running), so we can always just requeue the requests again.

Simon