[gpfsug-discuss] Using setfacl vs. mmputacl

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Mon Mar 1 16:50:31 GMT 2021

On 01/03/2021 15:18, Olaf Weiser wrote:
> CAUTION: This email originated outside the University. Check before
> clicking links or attachments.
> JAB,
> yes-this is in argument ;-) ... and personally I like the idea of having
> smth like setfacl also for GPFS ..  for years...
> *but* it would not take away the generic challenge , what to do, if
> there are competing standards / definitions to meet
> at least that is most likely just one reason, why there's no tool yet
> there are several hits on RFE page for "ACL".. some of them could be
> also addressed with a (mm)setfacl tool
> but I was not able to find a request for a tool itself
> (I quickly  searched  public but  not found it there, maybe there is
> already one in private...)
> So - dependent on how important this item for others  is  ... its time
> to fire an RFE ?!? ...

Well when I asked I was told by an IBM representative that it was by
design there was no proper way to set ACLs directly from Linux. The
expectation was that you would do this over NFSv4 or Samba.

So filing an RFE would be pointless under those conditions and I have
never bothered as a result. This was pre 2012 so IBM's outlook might
have changed in the meantime.