[gpfsug-discuss] Backing up GPFS with Rsync

William Burke bill.burke.860 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 02:19:02 GMT 2021

 I would like to know what files were modified/created/deleted (only for
the current day) on the GPFS's file system so that I could rsync ONLY those
files to a predetermined external location. I am running GPFS 4.2.3.9

Is there a way to access the GPFS's metadata directly so that I do not have
to traverse the filesystem looking for these files? If i use the rsync tool
it will scan the file system which is 400+ million files.  Obviously this
will be problematic to complete a scan in a day, if it would ever complete
single-threaded. There are tools or scripts that run multithreaded rsync
but it's still a brute force attempt. and it would be nice to know where
the delta of files that have changed.

I began looking at Spectrum Scale Data Management (DM) API but I am not
sure if this is the best approach to looking at the GPFS metadata - inodes,
modify times, creation times, etc.

--

Best Regards,

William Burke (he/him)