[gpfsug-discuss] TSM errors restoring files with ACL's

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Fri Mar 5 10:04:22 GMT 2021

I am seeing that whenever I try and restore a file with an ACL I get the
a ANS1589W error in /var/log/dsmerror.log

ANS1589W Unable to write extended attributes for ****** due to errno:
13, reason: Permission denied

But bizarrely the ACL is actually restored. At least as far as I can
tell. This is the 8.1.11-0 TSM client with GPFS version 5.0.5-1 against
a 8.1.10-0 TSM server. Running on RHEL 7.7 to match the DSS-G 2.7b
install. The backup node makes the third quorum node for the cluster
being as that it runs genuine RHEL (unlike all the compute nodes which
are running CentOS).

Googling I can't find any references to this being fixed in a later
version of the GPFS software, though being on RHEL7 and it's derivatives
I am stuck on 5.0.5

Surely root has permissions to write the extended attributes for anyone?
It would seem perverse if you have to be the owner of a file to restore
the ACL's.