[gpfsug-discuss] Using VMs as quorum / admin nodes in a GPFS infiniband cluster

Jan-Frode Myklebust janfrode at tanso.net
Mon Jun 7 20:49:02 BST 2021

I’ve done this a few times. Once with IPoIB as daemon network, and then
created a separate routed network on the hypervisor to bridge (?) between
VM and IPoIB network.

Example RHEL config where bond0 is an IP-over-IB bond on the hypervisor:
————————

To give the VMs access to the daemon network, we need create an internal
network for the VMs, that is then routed into the IPoIB network on the
hypervisor.

~~~
# cat <<EOF > routed34.xml
<network>
  <name>routed34</name>
  <forward mode='route' dev='bond0'/>
  <bridge name='virbr34' stp='on' delay='2'/>
  <ip address='10.0.0.1' netmask='255.255.255.0'>
    <dhcp>
      <range start='10.0.0.128' end='10.0.0.254'/>
    </dhcp>
  </ip>
</network>
EOF
# virsh net-define routed34.xml
Network routed34 defined from routed34.xml

# virsh net-start routed34
Network routed34 started

# virsh net-autostart routed34
Network routed34 marked as autostarted

# virsh net-list --all
 Name                 State      Autostart     Persistent
 default              active     yes           yes
 routed34           active     yes           yes

~~~

————————-

I see no issue with it — but beware that the FAQ lists some required
tunings if the VM is to host desconly disks (paniconiohang?)…

  -jf