[gpfsug-discuss] PVU question

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Tue Jun 29 14:46:45 BST 2021

Hum, it would appear there are gaps in IBM's PVU table. Specifically I
am looking at using a Pentium G4620 in a server

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/97460/intel-pentium-processor-g4620-3m-cache-3-70-ghz.html

It's dual core with ECC memory support all in a socket 1151. While a low
spec it would be an upgrade from the Xeon E3113 currently in use and
more than adequate for the job. A quad code CPU would more than double
the PVU for no performance gain so I am not keen to go there.

The only reason for the upgrade is the hardware is now getting on and
finding spares on eBay is now getting hard (it's a Dell PowerEdge R300).

However it doesn't fit anywhere in the PVU table

https://www.ibm.com/software/passportadvantage/pvu_licensing_for_customers.html

It's not a Xeon, it's not a Core, it's not AMD and it's not single core.
It won't be in a laptop, desktop or workstation so that rules out that
PVU calculation.

Does that mean zero PVU :-) or it's not supported or what?

Customer support where hopeless in answering my query. Then again IBM
think I need GDPR stickers for returning a memory DIMM.

JAB