[gpfsug-discuss] OPA HFI and Mellanox HCA on same NSD Server with only ib rdma enabled

Giovanni Bracco giovanni.bracco at enea.it
Sat Jan 30 17:07:43 GMT 2021

In our HPC infrastructure we have 6 NSD server, running CentOS 7.4, each
of them with with 1 Intel QDR HCA to a QDR Cluster (now 100 nodes
SandyBridge cpu it was 300 nodes CentOS 6.5), 1 OPA HCA to the main OPA
Cluster (400 nodes Skylake cpu, CentOS 7.3) and 1 Mellanox FDR to DDN
storages and it works nicely using RDMA since 2018. GPFS 4.2.3-19.
See
F. Iannone et al., "CRESCO ENEA HPC clusters: a working example of a
multifabric GPFS Spectrum Scale layout," 2019 International Conference
on High Performance Computing & Simulation (HPCS), Dublin, Ireland,
2019, pp. 1051-1052, doi: 10.1109/HPCS48598.2019.918813

When setting up the system the main trick has been:
just use CentOS drivers and do not install OFED
We do not use IPoIB.

Giovanni