[gpfsug-discuss] gpfsug-discuss Digest, Vol 108, Issue 18

Alec anacreo at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 04:40:44 GMT 2021

No problem at all.  If you can't get mmfind compiled... you can do
everything it does via mmapplypolicy.  But it is certainly easier with
mmfind to add in options dynamically.

I have modified the program that mmfind invokes... I forget offhand
tr_Polsomething.pl to add functions such as -gpfsCompress_lz4 and
-gpfsIsCompressed.

Spectrum Scale really has way more power than most people know what to do
with... I wish there was a much richer library of scripts available.

For instance with mmfind, this saved my bacon a few days ago.. as our 416TB
file system had less than 400GB free...
mmfind -polArgs "-a 8 -N node1,node2 -B 20" /sasfilesystem -mtime +1800
-name '*.sas7bdat' -size +1G -not -gpfsIsCompressed -gpfsCompress_lz4
  (I had to add in my own -gpfsIsCompressed and -gpfsCompress_lz4
features... but that was fairly easy)
  -- Find any file named '*.sas7bdat' over 1800 days (5 years), larger than
1G, and compress it down using lz4...   Farmed it out to my two app nodes 8
threads each... and 14000 files compressed overnight.

Next morning I had an extra 5TB of free space.. funny thing is I needed to
run it on my app nodes to slow down their write capacity so we didn't get a
fatal out of capacity.

If you really want to have fun, check out the ksh93 built in time functions
pairs nicely with this requirement.

Output the day of the week corresponding to the last day of February 2008.

$ printf  "%(%a)T\n"  "final day Feb 2008"

Fri

Output the date corresponding to the third Wednesday in May 2008.

$ printf  "%(%D)T\n" "3rd wednesday may 2008"

05/21/08

Output what date it was 4 weeks ago.

$ printf  "%(%D)T\n" "4 weeks ago"

02/18/08