[gpfsug-discuss] Question on changing mode on many files

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Tue Dec 7 15:42:58 GMT 2021

On 07/12/2021 14:55, Simon Thompson wrote:

> Or add:
>    UPDATECTIME               yes
>    SKIPACLUPDATECHECK        yes
>
> To you dsm.opt file to skip checking for those updates and don’t back
> them up again.

Yeah, but then a restore gives you potentially an unusable file system
as the ownership of the files and ACL's are all wrong. Better to bite
the bullet and back them up again IMHO.

> Actually I thought TSM only updated the metadata if the mode/owner
> changed, not re-backed the file…

That was my understanding but I have seen TSM rebacked up large amounts
of data where the owner of the file changed in the past, so your mileage
may vary.

Also ACL's are stored in extended attributes which are stored with the
files and changes will definitely cause the file to be backed up again.